Triangle Restaurant News
Triangle restaurant news…that not everyone knows. Impress your co-workers at the water cooler.
Featured Restaurant News
- The News & Observer broke the news yesterday that a “freaking fired up” Scott Howell has made the fantastic decision to reopen his legendary Nana’s restaurant in Durham on University Drive, which he had closed last summer after a 26-year run. The reopened Nana’s will have a slightly pared down dining room, around 60 seats, and a smaller, more seasonally focused menu based on what happens to be available. In addition to Nana’s, Howell’s other projects include the popular fast casual Nanataco, Bar Virgile and DPAC-adjacent Nana Steak. No word on an exact reopening date, so stay tuned. Visit Nana’s here.
Wake County Restaurant News
- Got word that that Budacai Boba Bar, in the former Provenance space at 120 E. Martin Street, is now in their soft opening mode. The sign in the window indicates that this is North Carolina’s first Boba Bar. Get to know them through their Facebook page here.
- Over in the Brier Creek area, got word from from reader Jennifer Buchholz that the Mellow Mushroom is targeting March 25 for their opening. It is located at 9600 Brier Creek Parkway. Follow their social media to confirm their opening. Visit them on their website here and on Facebook here.
- Also on March 25th, we got word from their Twitter feed, that the Cameron Village location of CAVA will have a “Community Day” in their newest location at 403 Daniels Street. They will be open from 10:45 a.m. until 1 p.m. and again from 5 p.m. until 7 p.m. on Monday with complimentary meals and all donations going to Sow Much Good. Their official first day will follow on Tuesday, March 26th. Check them out here.
- Rebecca Calhoun shared the news that Firenza Pizza In in the McNeill Point development at the corner of McNeill Street and Wake Forest Road (next to Mami Nora’s) is now open. This is the second location in the state (Charlotte has one) and the first in the Triangle. Get to know them here.
- Also in Raleigh, reader Dane Christensen noted that the Brennan Station location (8107 Creedmoor Road) of Five Guys is currently closed for renovation. No word on the timeline of completion. In the meantime, visit the other 7 Triangle area locations. Visit Five Guys here.
- And we got word this week that Showmars, a “part Greek, part Southern, all Carolina”, fast-casual concept will open a second Triangle-area location this summer in Raleigh’s Brier Creek at 4203 Corners Parkway. The original Triangle location is in Wake Forest. Look for them to break ground at the end of this month, with a summer target open date. Visit Showmars here.
- Down in the “Quay” David McCreary gave me a quick update that the Pizza Hut at 1301 N. Main St. in Fuquay-Varina has closed its doors, and a Pizza Hut Express has opened at 1009 E. Broad St. Unit E01B in the Walmart Shopping Center. Pizza Hut Express offers carryout and delivery but not dine-in.
- And over in Clayton, reader John Tipton noticed the construction of a Culver’s at 11959 US Hwy. 70 Business. No word on a timeline, but will be the 4th North Carolina location, and the second in the Triangle (one in Wake Forest). Get familiar with Culver’s here.
Durham, Orange & Chatham Restaurant News
- Saw a tweet from Miss Penny Loafer that There’s a “Coming Soon” sign for GG Taste of Chicago Fish & Chicken at the Woodcroft Shopping Center in the old Chubby’s Tacos location (Chubby’s moved to a larger space in the same shopping center). There is currently a GG location at on Fayetteville Street, so not sure yet if this will be a second location, or a move. Stay tuned. Visit them here.
- Thanks to the keen eyes of Austin and Claire Moss, we learned that both of Ricky Moore’s Saltbox Seafood Joint locations have extended their hours into the evening. The Old Five Points (Mangum St) location hours are now 11am to 6pm Tuesday – Saturday; and the Rockwood (Durham Chapel Hill Blvd) location hours are now 11am to 8pm Tuesday – Saturday. See you for dinner!?! Visit them here.
- Saw on their Facebook feed that Big Bundts & More Bakery in Durham at 721 Broad Street has made the decision to permanently close. They will have a closing sale this Saturday from 9 a.m. until noon.
- And in Chapel Hill, got word from reader Katherine Hasard Vinson that the Cuban Revolution Express location on Franklin Street has closed. The Durham location remains open.
- Go ahead and mark down the dates for 2019 for the Durham Food Truck rodeos – they are: March 24 (THIS SUNDAY!), June 16, September 1 and November 3! Get all the dates here.
- And the dates for the 2019 edition of the Raleigh Food Truck Rodeo have been released – they are Sunday May 5th – 12-6pm (Cinco de mayo ); Sunday June 9th – 12-6pm; Sunday August 4th – 3pm-9pm ( Evening Rodeo ); and Sunday Oct 6th – 12-6pm. All are held along Fayetteville Street. Get all the details here.
- On March 31st food trucks will gather in Chapel Hill for the Food Truck Rodeo on Rosemary from 1-4 p.m. More than a dozen trucks will be on hand. Get all the details on their Facebook page here.
- Thanks to a note from Mark Ginsberg, I learned that the Knightdale Food Truck Thursdays is getting ready to kick back up for the season. The event is held the third Thursday of the month from April through October at Knightdale Station Park for lunch AND dinner. Get all the details, truck schedule and more here.
- On Sunday, March 24th Tyler’s Restaurant & Taproom and Sam’s Quik Shop present the 7th annual Bull City Food & Beer Experience where 30 of Durham’s finest restaurants are paired with 30 refreshing beers. Unlimited food and beer samplings will be spread throughout all three DPAC floors, plus the On Stage Experience will showcase local food and live music on the DPAC stage. This event is a fundraising event to benefit the Ellerbe Creek Watershed Association. Get all the details here.
- Also on Sunday, March 24, Postal Fish Company, Sanctuary Vineyards, and Vino Wine Shop are joining forces to bring you a truly local seafood and wine dinner, Sanctuary Vineyards Wine Dinner, that will change your mind about North Carolina wines. Tickets are $65. All the details and ticket information can be found on their Facebook event page here.
- Shop Local Raleigh’s annual craft beer festival, Brewgaloo, will take place April 26-27, 2019 Brewgaloo features craft breweries from North Carolina and partners with local food trucks, local vendors and local bands. Get tickets now and all the details on their website here.
- Recently Brewgaloo was nominated as one of the top beer festivals in the country! That’s right, in the country! Right now we sit atop the leaderboard, but we need your vote to stay there. Please click through here and keep us there! Thanks to Jennifer Martin for bringing this to my attention.
- Cary’s 4th annual Fest in the West festival returns on Saturday, May 4th from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. at the USA Baseball National Training Complex. The event features old-fashioned contests (like pie eating!), artists, beer, food trucks (10) and live bands on multiple stages. (Rain date is May 5). Get all the details here.
- Tickets are on sale now for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina’s Thrive NC, scheduled for May 9 -10 at City Market in downtown Raleigh. The inaugural event attracted thousands of members of the community to celebrate North Carolina’s culinary roots, while also initiating critical conversations about food insecurity in our state. The highlight of the two-day event is the festival which will feature more than 60 of the area’s best restaurants serving food and drink samples as well as live entertainment, including chef demonstrations and music. Get all the details here. Get all the details here.
Food Bank Corner
- Right now, through March 31, your gift to the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina goest TWICE as far! No child should ever have to go to bed hungry. And right now, your gift goes twice as far towards making sure children in our community go to bed with full stomachs. Through March 31, your gift to the Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina will be doubled up to $107,000! Make your donation today.